Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thwarted by DSL & Dominos

I had high aspirations for my evening. I was going to watch the next movie on my list of AFI's most inspiring movies for my other blog (http://mnmword.blogspot.com), but was sidelined by DSL internet. My husband is on the computer gaming, and apparently our internet couldn't handle World of Warcraft + Netflix online streaming. So, Searching For Bobby Fischer will have to wait another day. I was also going to work out on the exercise bike while I watched, but ate a few too many pieces of Domino's pizza for dinner, and am feeling like my tummy needs a siesta at this point.

I had a little bit of an emotional day, so I stared at my beloved DVD collection and tried to discern which film could lift my spirits and help me relax. I selected the classic musical West Side Story. It isn't exactly happy all the way through, but it is one of my favorite all time movies. The music, the dancing...I'm trying to think of what else, but I think those two things are so great, that who cares what else goes on in the movie. The plot is well done too, an interesting take on Romeo and Juliet. But really, it's the music and the dancing. And the men! They dance amazingly well, in a time when it was actually cool and masculine for a man to dance well.

When I was little I always empathized with Anybodys (yes, that is a character name), a tomboy who chases the Jets gang around throughout the film, and wants to become one of them. I was busy chasing around my older brother and the neighbor boys at the time, wanting to be included, so I suppose it was a natural correlation for me to make. If I were to act in the play I still think I'd want to play Anybodys, I think I lack the melodrama it would take to play the female lead, Maria (Natalie Wood). Anyway, if you've never seen West Side Story, you should check it out...it's one of those movies that anybodys have to see at least once (did you catch that? haha, what a witty pun).

Since we've made our move to California, my health has been a little variable. I get migraine headaches, and they've been hitting me hard since we got here. That, and my stress/anxiety level have been higher than normal, natural enough with a major life change. I am starting to realize that I need to take it easier on myself and my body, and acknowledge that not everything is in my control. It's something I'm still working at, us Type A personalities don't relax without a fight.

But, I'm taking a step towards zen tonight with a classic musical, a cuddly Labrador retriever, and a comfy couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment