Monday, June 4, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month #4: "June Is Bustin' Out All Over!"

This month is Migraine Awareness Month, a month near and dear to my heart.  Being diagnosed with chronic migraines nearly 16 years ago changed my life forever.  Migraines have affected my overall health, personal relationships, career (or lack thereof), and most other aspects of my life.  Despite the admitted suffering and stress migraines have caused, I feel that I am a stronger person because of what I have had to overcome.  Nonetheless, life without migraines would certainly be preferable, and I am all for anything that focuses attention on migraine awareness and research.   Every day this month, a new blog prompt is provided on a specific topic relating to migraine.  I hope to complete a few entries before the month is out.  Today's topic is how to enjoy summer fun despite migraines.

Well, my first suggestion is to be pregnant for the duration of the summer, like I will be this year. Obviously this is not an option for half of us (sorry, guys) and not an attractive option for many others.  But for me, it is working.  This is my first (mostly) migraine-free summer in 16 years, and it is due to my beloved estrogen levels.  Now, if I could only plan to be pregnant every summer, I could get rid of summer migraines forever, and maybe even get my own TLC show!

But seriously, the biggest thing to remember about summer and migraines is to stay well hydrated.  Dehydration is such a major concern, especially in desert climates like where I live.  The temperatures are usually in the high 80s early in the morning and late into the evening, with afternoons topping around 100.  This weather takes a big toll on our bodies, which require adequate water supplies in order to function properly.  Pop, coffee, tea, and energy drinks don't cut it.  Water, gatorade, or juice are much better options.  Dehydration is one of my main triggers of migraine.  Sometimes I feel like all I do is drink (or go the bathroom), but it's worth it if you can avoid the pain of a nasty migraine.  Plus, once you're dehydrated you're more prone to nausea/vomiting if a migraine does come on, and then trying to keep any medication in your system becomes a major struggle.   Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

Another tip is to invest in a good pair of sunglasses.  Glare from the sun can cause migraines for a lot of us.  That great pair from Target may look trendy and cost cheap, but odds are they are not providing proper protection for your eyeballs.  Sunglasses with polarized lenses are your best option.  Also, if you wear prescription regular glasses, you may want to invest in anti-glare lenses.  That way if you forget your sunglasses, you won't be completely blinded, and they also work well for night driving.

I love summer, and spending lots of time outdoors.  Suffering from migraines shouldn't prevent you from making plans for weekend camping trips, concerts, cookouts, and beach days.  It might be a good idea to plan for activities of shorter duration outside, building in indoor rest time in between to recover.  If you know you're going to be out and about all day, try to limit your other triggers as best you can (make sure you're well-rested, well-fed, and have all your meds on hand in case of an emergency).  And finally, if the worst happens and that migraine hits, try to stay calm and accept the inevitability of the situation.  Sometimes no matter how careful we are, that gnarly migraine shows up.  It does no good to feel guilty and cry (though I do it sometimes anyway).  Go burrow yourself in that cold dark basement, put a funny movie on, and slap an ice pack on your forehead.  Tomorrow is another day, and it's more likely to be a great one if you take care of yourself today.

National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment