Sunday, June 12, 2011

Confronting the Fear

Yesterday we had an awesome day with our friends at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I'd been trying to remember the last time I had been to an amusement park, I think it was about a decade ago at Valleyfair (Shakopee holla!). I enjoy rides a lot, but with them comes automatic anxiety attacks, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Well, as soon as we came out of the mountains and Santa Clarita came in view, I knew my psyche was in trouble. I've never seen rides as menacing (and architecturally impressive) as those at Six Flags.

The X2 was our first coaster of the day. I'd like to tell you about it, but my eyes were closed the whole time. My companions said it was probably the best one of the day. I'll take their word for it. The lines were long in between rides, but we enjoyed the people watching. Our favorites included a woman with a collarbone piercing (ow?!), and a man with a red star tattoo over his eye (possibly a Kiss aficionado). My mental nemesis for the day was a coaster called Tatsu. I have had recurring nightmares where I am falling since childhood, and this ride brought those dreams to life. The whole ride you are on your stomach, like your back is attached to the coaster's track. So basically when you drop, it is like you are going headfirst into the ground. Sort of makes you feel all warm and cuddly inside. NOT.


The downside of the day was waiting in line for the Superman ride. You wait in this white cave (Krpyton, I was told) with hundreds of other Californians wreaking strongly of sweat and other bodily odors, while 30 degree air is blown out of giant ceiling fans. After a half hour in captivity with no movement, we took a group vote and bailed out of the cave. A little kid asked me as we walked past, "was it that scary?!?" I had to smile. We finished the day out with one of the old wooden coasters, which was great fun with no line. It seemed like a classic finish to a really great summer day.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I got chills thinking about that coaster! (And I love rides, but that sure sounds scary!)

    ReplyDelete