Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Love, My Dyson...

As I was preparing for my hosting duties for last week's girls night (which was awesome, by the way), I naturally thought to vacuum the house. Our battle scarred Eureka, which had been ailing even before our move from Ohio, finally uttered its last breath. First it made groaning noises, and then it just shut off. It lived only 2 years, unable to survive the onslaught of pet hair and desert sand. We immediately sought a more worthy replacement. My friend Emily (also a multi-dog owner) recommended a Dyson. As much as it hurt the pocket book, after some shopping around to compare, we bit the bullet. The result? I am smitten.

As Emily had warned us, the Dyson lifted "a whole animal" out of our carpet on the first try. The couch and hard floor attachments work fabulously. I will never buy a cheap vacuum again. It actually makes me look forward to vacuuming (I am looking into this, it may be a psychiatric condition). Pet hair, do your worst!

In other news, we attended our first Dodgers game yesterday. The drive was relatively short, but it felt like we had wandered into another dimension. In a little more than an hour we went from 90 degrees/blistering sun/desert sand/sticks to 70 degrees/partly cloudy/everything green and lush/metropolis. The stadium is quite impressive, and coming from a baseball obsessed family that cannot take a vacation without building in a baseball game, I know a thing or two about this subject. The Dodgers did not play well, but we had fun anyway. I ate my first Dodger dog and indulged in some garlic fries (not exactly an item you'd want to consume on a first date, but after almost three years of marriage, hell yes). I hope we will be able to get to a few more games before the season raps up.


Today has been a lazy day. I ordered myself a compost kitchen bin on Amazon, which I have discovered is practically a necessity in order to compost effectively and not have a stinky kitchen. Our fridge is overflowing with organic produce, so I will be making veggie pasta tonight with salad and honeydew melon for sides. Due to a sudden influx of carrots, I will be attempting Paula Deen's carrot cake recipe tomorrow. I've been trying to watch something upbeat on TV all day, but have not had much luck. After watching two consecutive MSNBC documentaries (on the Jonestown massacre and Casey Anthony trial), I am in need of a Will Farrell movie or a stiff drink, perhaps both.

Hope everyone had a great Father's Day weekend! I miss my Dad a lot, and can't wait for him to visit in the fall. I'm looking forward to a productive week of getting registered for school, and hopefully an outlet mall trip. Updates on my baking escapades and shopping sprees to come!

1 comment: