Thursday, June 30, 2011

Zen and the Curse of Paula Deen

As the long holiday weekend approaches, the overflow of organic produce continues at our house. I'm going to attempt Pioneer Woman's Peach Cobbler with Maple Cream Sauce sometime this weekend. We have more peaches than any two people can handle, both yellow and white. I think the white peaches are sort of watery and tasteless, but I figure they'll be fine all sugared up in a dessert. Tonight I made Chocolate Zucchini Cake. You would never know there was zucchini in it, but I think it helps make the cake delightfully moist (For recipe click here). And yes, as soon as this holiday weekend is over, my husband and I will both be in need of Weight Watchers. I had good intentions with this veggie project, but instead of eating them in their natural healthy form, I keep morphing them into fattening desserts, made with lots of butter. It's like Paula Deen's evil spirit is perched on my shoulder every time I cook.


In other news, I went to my first yoga class in two years on Wednesday. I am not the most coordinated or flexible woman. My physical therapist once asked if I'd ever been in a serious car accident, because my neck and my back are so whacked out. I think this proves how badly I need yoga, but it also means I am embarrassingly awful at all the moves. While everyone else is bending their ankles behind their ears with serene calm looks on their faces, my hips are cracking, and pretty much every muscle is spasming, resulting in full body shakes that make it impossible for me to hold any pose for more than two seconds. Despite this, I enjoy class. The girls I met were very friendly, I think it is so relaxing, and I am determined to improve my skills. I will be a yoga master in no time. Namaste.

Happy 4th of July everyone! My parents and sister in Minnesota are visiting Canada for the holiday weekend (leave it to my family to do everything backwards). Meanwhile, here in the desert we have planned a quiet weekend of movie watching, good food, and much earned rest. We'll be meeting up with some friends on Monday for fireworks and a potluck dinner. I hope you all have a very safe and fun 4th of July weekend.

In closing, I'd like to share a quote/prayer I was forwarded from my dear friend Katie this week. It was exactly what I needed to read at that particular moment. I hope you appreciate it like I did:
"May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us."

1 comment:

  1. Awww, Laura! Love that prayer. Also, love and miss you guys! (And don't worry, everyone is shaky when they start out with yoga. You will get it. I promise. :))

    ReplyDelete