Sunday, July 3, 2011

Jammed...

I hate going out to shop the day before a holiday. Hate it. With a passion. Crowded parking lots, traffic, stupid people who don't know how to push a cart, I could go on and on. Add to that 104 degree desert heat and you can be pretty sure you're actually in one of the outer realms of hell. I deliberately planned out my grocery shopping earlier this week so that I would not have to go out this weekend. And yet, things did not go as planned, per usual. I am the proud parent of two beloved but rambunctious dogs, a golden retriever and a lab mix (Tess and Buster). We keep their food in a large storage bin in the garage. We've used the same bin for years, without incident. This morning, I ventured out to the garage to retrieve breakfast for our beloved canines, only to find a most unwelcome sight. There were large amounts of ants in a long trail, leading from the opposite side of the garage all the way across to the food bin. They had made it into the food bin through a few small ventilation holes in the side of the bin. There was half a bag's worth of dog food in the bin, all ruined, by those darned persistent ants!

Well, a genocide followed. I opened up on the ants with my poison spray, turning their path from the outside into a trail of tears, as I annihilated their merry band of miscreants. I felt slightly vindicated as I swept up their dead soulless bodies, but then it hit me. No dog food. No dog food bin. Shoot! And, to town I went, with my dutiful husband in tow. Trips to Costco, Petsmart, and Target followed. We wrestled our way through the crowds, and made it home again - well supplied with dog food free of ants, an airtight storage container, and Spaceballs on Blu-Ray.

Yes, Spaceballs. Last night I was making homemade peach jam, and the whole time I was giggling, reciting quotes aloud from Spaceballs. If you haven't seen this cinematic masterpiece, it is a parody of Star Wars. In one scene Dark Helmet (Darth Vader)'s radar is "jammed," using a giant jar of actual raspberry jam. Anyway, my husband stared at me with this blank "my wife belongs in a loony bin" gaze, and the truth became shockingly apparent - he had never seen Spaceballs! Unacceptable. As of this afternoon, we have remedied the situation and he is now aware of the power of the "Schwartz," so perhaps something good came out of this debacle. Silly ants.


Now we are in the midst of a relaxing evening with nothing pressing to do except some laundry (barring any further insect outbreaks). Doing laundry does make me sleepy though, as the washer and dryer are located in the garage, where the temperature is currently hovering at approximately 110 degrees. My dear husband made a delicious breakfast-for-dinner, giving me the night off from cooking, and there is some cookies and cream ice cream calling my name for dessert.

Hope everyone is enjoying this rare Sunday where no one has to work the next morning. I am excited for fireworks, friends, and delicious food tomorrow. Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment