Saturday, June 4, 2011

Going Green!

Today is such a beautiful day. The temperatures have been so moderate since we arrived a few months ago (sadly it won't stay that way). The sun is shining, there's a pleasant breeze, and my neighbor's rose bushes are in full bloom. We started off the day picking up our first basket from Abundant Harvest Organics. There was so much produce, it was overwhelming! It will be a challenge for me to utilize all this great food and make sure it doesn't go to waste. At lunch my husband and I ate fresh salads, he ate his first ever pluot, and I indulged in some Rainier cherries. I swear, even the lettuce tasted better than store bought. And for those of you who haven't had Rainier cherries, they are the upper class of cherry society...you will not be disappointed.


We also got our compost bin all set up. I hope we get the right mix going, so it breaks down correctly. This is a very new concept to us, but it seems like a good thing. Anything that reduces our trash waste has to be a positive change. The dogs got their vaccinations this morning. I was worried they would act a little under the weather as a result, but they are so energetic today! Tess & Buster were riveted by the composting project. They will be even more excited to find out a play date is scheduled for this afternoon with their best friends Moose and Dixie, while we humans enjoy a barbecue with friends.



Tomorrow we're taking our second crack at hiking in the Angeles Forest. I found out the specifics of what's closed and what's open, and found out about a great visitor's center where they can help us decide on a specific trail. So hopefully in my next entry I'll have some great pictures! Hope you're enjoying beautiful summer weather wherever this day finds you.

1 comment:

  1. The produce looks great and M and D are snoring after their play date. Will look up the farm online! Let us know about how the hiking turned out!

    ReplyDelete